Thursday, January 15, 2009

Alabaster Jar, gift of tears

I heard Jon Courson speak of the tear jars that they have in Israel, where when I woman finds the man she will trust herself with, she gives him, in essence every heartbroken moment she has ever had. The immoral woman of Luke 7: 36-50 is a beautiful and magical picture of the LORD'S love and care for a daring daughter.

She was a woman who had sinned much, but somehow at that moment it didn't matter. Her faith was bigger than her fear as she entered the home of that pharisee. Have you ever felt that those around you would be the mocking, unkind sort? Imagine the terror in this woman, knowing she would be around sneers and looks of disgust. One might want to hide, shudder, lower one's head and walk by the door of Simon's house.
Not this daughter.

She traveled to bring Him the gift of not only her exspensive perfume, but her tears. And as she knelt behind Him, her face close to His feet, she lavished her love for this man. Now, I love my hair, and to visually see this woman take her hair and wipe the dust from His feet with her tears, takes me to another dimension. Everything in her was at stake and everything was available.

Of course Simon, questions in his thoughts, “If this man were a prophet, he would know what kind of woman is touching him. She’s a sinner!”

A sinner who gave it all to the LORD. Kneeled with remorse and love, weariness and faith. Her tears were filled with who knows how much bitterness or pain or lonliness. Her bones aching with disgust or fear or saddness. We see depression nowadays and what havoc it can have on people both physically and emotionally. It wears away the person.

Jesus tells Simon a somewhat parable of two that owe a debt. I love how the NKJ puts it, "Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. "

"Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet.

Where was Simon's remorse; did he annoint Jesus' head, did he wash His feet? This woman did more than just what would have been nice and accustomed.

47 “I tell you, her sins—and they are many—have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.”

She gave all she had; all she was, laying it before the kings feet. What a beautiful moment of freedom, to just say here it is, I cannot do this on my own, I give you my tear jar, you are the man of my dreams.

Oh, what a tender encounter I imagine when He looks to her to tell her she is forgiven. I can see the softness in His eyes, the gentle but strong sound of His voice. 48 Then Jesus said to the woman, “Your sins are forgiven.” You risked it all, daughter and you are forgiven.

When Jesus looks at this woman, He says something that I believe is no accident. "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."


Interesting, faith and peace in the same phrase. For you see I believe when we give everything up; the fake, the proud, the dirt, the sleeze and just say, "Father, this isn't working, I NEED YOU and I WANT YOU; we are in turn going to recieve the peace our frazzled and weakened nerves so badly crave. He is our Prince of Peace, go ahead, spill out your jar. I am.

LORD, in this glowing, beautiful picture you give us, I see myself. I so badly want to be the woman of worth who lays it down at the feet of my One true love. I know my healing comes from you, I know my peace is awaiting. Please take these tears of past pains and rebellion and heal me and love me.

In the wonderful and powerful name of my Savior,

In Jesus name,

Amen

2 comments:

  1. May our hearts always spill forth the tears of loving kindness our Savior bestowed upon us...me, the worst of sinners.

    I'm forever grateful!

    Lovingly,
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! May we always pour ourselves out at His feet.

    ReplyDelete